Looking to purchase a radio....

HG/PG gear to sell or to buy.

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

tdilisio

Looking to purchase a radio....

Post by tdilisio »

... that has the HG frequencies. Used or new. Does anyone have one? or know where I can buy one (URL)? Some suggestions would be appreciated.
TonyD
tdilisio at yahoo dot com
540-664-54six-seven
H3-FL-PL-ST-AT
Matthew

Re: Looking to purchase a radio....

Post by Matthew »

Most of us don't use the HG freqs-- don't know of anyone who does.

You're better off getting an ADI 2 meter radio and taking the HAM Technicians test-- it's EASY!!!!

Matthew
tdilisio

Post by tdilisio »

Thanks Matthew. This is the kind of useful info that's not in the training manuals.
TonyD
540-664-54six-seven
H3-FL-PL-ST-AT
Spark

Post by Spark »

I recommend the Vertex Vx150. They are extremely rugged and have all the features you'll need.

http://www.aesham.com - search for vx150 - $117 with a spare battery

Be sure to get a license before you transmit ;-)
'Spark
tdilisio

Post by tdilisio »

Spark wrote:I recommend the Vertex Vx150. They are extremely rugged and have all the features you'll need.

http://www.aesham.com - search for vx150 - $117 with a spare battery

Be sure to get a license before you transmit ;-)

Thanks Spark. Just ordered one. Good price, compared to other sites.

Any suggestions for a helmet mic and speakers? Antenna?

Very much appreciated.
TonyD
540-664-54six-seven
H3-FL-PL-ST-AT
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I'm using a headset w/PTT meant for motorcycling I got from Ham Radio Outlet in Woodbridge. Sometimes it's worth it to buy something retail from people who know what they're doing. I promised Janni I'd send him the part numbers, but I don't have the info anymore. I thought it was Vertex-branded, but I could be wrong. It looks like this, except it's specifically for a full-face helmet, so there's no boom for the mic http://www.planetheadset.com/motorcycle-headsets.php. The PTT is meant for handlebars, but I (non-destructively) removed the excess pieces and velcro the PTT to my chin guard.

There are other equally good or better solutions out there. There are people selling sets specifically for flying (see the ads in the magazine). These include a finger-mounted PTT. Or you can make your own http://www.brenorbrophy.com/HG/head_set_ptt.htm. Whatever you use, take some time to do a dress rehearsal so you know that the wires won't get in the way while you're upright or when you prone out. Also, most importantly, if your unit has a VOX (voice-operated) mode, DON'T use it. You'll have lots of angry people when your transmitter opens up with every bit of wind noise.

The radio will come with a standard antenna, which should work well enough. You may also want a whip antenna in your harness for extra gain if you land out. I also have a magnetically mounted antenna for when I want to use the radio from inside my vehicle. HRO can set you up with these items. If they're out-of-stock, they'll ship it to you for no extra charge. And it's nice to know you can take it someone if there's a problem.

One downside of the Vertex radios is that they use a non-standard antenna mount. The Icoms (e.g. IC-V8, which I used to have. I hope the guy who broke into my vehicle likes it as much as I did.) use a better mount. Also, I find myself less likely to mess with the squelch on the Icom. But the Icom is physically larger, has other disadvantages, and is certainly no cheaper (exept for the Sport model, which uses alkaline batteries). The Vertex seems to be the local standard.

BTW, the "brenorbophy" link above has all the information necessary for those looking to get their Technician's license. If you don't have your license, PM me if you need any help. Stupid questions encouraged.
David Bodner
Spark

Post by Spark »

Motocomm PTT headsets ar a good solution - they come with multiple sections; eg. helmet earpieces & mic; PTT/Radio part., extension, etc. Cost is about $60. Individual parts can be relaced at approx. $20 each. Generally, the part that fails is the PTT switch or radio jack, so you only need spend $20 when/if the time comes. Versions exist for most types of radio connections.

http://www.handsfreedirect.com/motocomm/push-to-talk/

http://www.handsfreedirect.com/motocomm/parts/ptt/

I have two helmets (PG/HG), both wired for motocomm, but I didn't have to buy two full setups.

If you want to add an extra antenna to that vx150, you may want to get an SMA to BNC adapter, since many antennae use BNC connectors.
'Spark
tdilisio

Post by tdilisio »

Thanks for the input, everyone. I went with the Motocom PTT. Will have to start studying for the Radio Tech. License. Thanks for that site info, Matthew.
TonyD
540-664-54six-seven
H3-FL-PL-ST-AT
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Spark, I think that's the system I have. Are you wearing the PTT on your finger or mounting it elsewhere? I couldn't come up with a good finger-wearing solution. But, maybe I wasn't being sufficiently creative.
David Bodner
Spark

Post by Spark »

I wear the PTT switch on my finger, and occasionally place it on the basetube ... but truth be told, I rarely use a PTT. I own two, but I only use them when I am seriously thinking about flying XC ... which is usually no more than 5 or six days each year ... like when I go to King Mtn ... (i'm leaving tomorrow).
'Spark
steve

I build ptt units for the vx150

Post by steve »

Hello all. I build ptt units for the vx150 / full face helmets only / $40.oo snail mail. The headset unplugs from the radio/finger switch and you will have to sew velcro for the finger switch if thats what you want. I just tape it to my glove or finger. No biggie. It works...Guaranteed to last until you break it and then I will fix... What a deal. I have five remaining I am putting together now.
Pictures? just ask

Steve Prater
praters4 at suddenlink dot net
870 nine one eight 1040
fly high, fly far, fly safe