WS Minimums

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

rancerupp

WS Minimums

Post by rancerupp »

I'd like to hear from the more experienced flyers that have been flying WS since before God created dirt. Well, maybe not quite that long...

Assuming that the wind was blowing straight in, what would be about(key word here) the minimum windspeed for WS to be ridge soarable, say in a double surface glider? Be specific in your answers as to windspeed whether you are talking about windspeed at launch or what you saw in the forecasts before you made it out there, or if you are referring to current area readings.

I'm well aware of the WS effect, I'm just trying to improve my WS analysis skills. Thanks.

Rance
XCanytime

WS Minimums

Post by XCanytime »

Rance,
???? Around 10 MPH straight in (NW) is sufficient to ridge soar WS, due to the steepness of the ridge.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????? Bacil
brianvh

WS Minimums

Post by brianvh »

If you are talking about pure ridge soaring, what Bacil said.

You also have to ask about thermal activity - many times you are "ridge
soaring" in collected thermals. On a good thermal day the wind may be
puffing in about 5 mph, but you still stay up effortlessly so long as you
have the presence of mind to hightail it out of sink. On a magic air
evening the wind at launch may also be close to 5 mph but it's all lifting
air blowing up the slot.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Fri, 6 May 2005, rancerupp wrote:

> I'd like to hear from the more experienced flyers that have been flying WS since before God created dirt. Well, maybe not quite that long...
>
> Assuming that the wind was blowing straight in, what would be about(key word here) the minimum windspeed for WS to be ridge soarable, say in a double surface glider? Be specific in your answers as to windspeed whether you are talking about windspeed at launch or what you saw in the forecasts before you made it out there, or if you are referring to current area readings.
>
> I'm well aware of the WS effect, I'm just trying to improve my WS analysis skills. Thanks.
>
> Rance
Scott

Post by Scott »

Summer vs. winter, also: experienced pilots have told me that 7mph is enough to soar in winter (denser air).

Scott
heaviek

WS Minimums

Post by heaviek »

Rance, pay as much attention to instability as you are to wind forecasts.? The ridge soarability varies with the relative instability of the airmass.? I’ve ridge soared in 5mph of 80 cross.? ?A ridge with good sun can be very soarable at the right time with very little breeze.? Also pay as much mind to the cloud forecasts.?
?
Fly the sky.
?
Kev C
?

Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 8:12 AM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: WS Minimums

?
I'd like to hear from the more experienced flyers that have been flying WS since before God created dirt. Well, maybe not quite that long...

Assuming that the wind was blowing straight in, what would be about(key word here) the minimum windspeed for WS to be ridge soarable, say in a double surface glider? Be specific in your answers as to windspeed whether you are talking about windspeed at launch or what you saw in the forecasts before you made it out there, or if you are referring to current area readings.

I'm well aware of the WS effect, I'm just trying to improve my WS analysis skills. Thanks.

Rance
rancerupp

Re: WS Minimums

Post by rancerupp »

Kev, Thanks, I've seen Dr.Jacks for tomorrow. I was just wanting to know what the level was for a fallback. I plan on being VERY HIGH tomorrow. :) Hope to see you and others too. Till then...

Rance

heaviek wrote: <snip>
pay as much mind to the cloud forecasts.?
<snip>
mcgowantk

WS Minimums

Post by mcgowantk »

To build on this, the time of day is important.? I have soared Woodstock many times in 5mph winds, but most times this was late in the day.
?
Tom McGowan
?
now - where to fly today?

Kevin <heaviek@yahoo.com> wrote:
<!-- /* The original subSilver Theme for phpBB version 2+ Created by subBlue design http://www.subBlue.com NOTE: These CSS definitions are stored within the main page body so that you can use the phpBB2 theme administration centre. When you have finalised your style you could cut the final CSS code and place it in an external file, deleting this section to save bandwidth. */ /* General page style. The scroll bar colours only visible in IE5.5+ */ body { background-color: #E5E5E5; scrollbar-face-color: #DEE3E7; scrollbar-highlight-color: #FFFFFF; scrollbar-shadow-color: #DEE3E7; scrollbar-3dlight-color: #D1D7DC; scrollbar-arrow-color: #006699; scrollbar-track-color: #EFEFEF; scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #98AAB1; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11; color: #000000; } /* General font families for common tags */ font,th,td,p { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif } p, td { font-size : 11; color : #000000; } a:link,a:active,a:visited { color : #006699; } a:hover { text-decoration: underline; color : #DD6900; } hr { height: 0px; border: solid #D1D7DC 0px; border-top-width: 1px;} h1,h2 { font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size : 22px; font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; line-height : 120%; color : #000000;} /* This is the border line & background colour round the entire page */ .bodyline { background-color: #FFFFFF; border: 1px #98AAB1 solid; } /* This is the outline round the main forum tables */ .forumline { background-color: #FFFFFF; border: 2px #006699 solid; } /* Main table cell colours and backgrounds */ td.row1 { background-color: #EFEFEF; } td.row2 { background-color: #DEE3E7; } td.row3 { background-color: #D1D7DC; } /* This is for the table cell above the Topics, Post & Last posts on the index.php page By default this is the fading out gradiated silver background. However, you could replace this with a bitmap specific for each forum */ td.rowpic { background-color: #FFFFFF; background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic2.jpg); background-repeat: repeat-y; } /* Header cells - the blue and silver gradient backgrounds */ th { color: #FFA34F; font-size: 11px; font-weight : bold; background-color: #006699; height: 25px; background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic3.gif); } td.cat,td.catHead,td.catSides,td.catLeft,td.catRight,td.catBottom { background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic1.gif); background-color:#D1D7DC; border: #FFFFFF; border-style: solid; height: 28px; } /* Setting additional nice inner borders for the main table cells. The names indicate which sides the border will be on. Don't worry if you don't understand this, just ignore it :-) */ td.cat,td.catHead,td.catBottom { height: 29px; border-width: 0px 0px 0px 0px; } th.thHead,th.thSides,th.thTop,th.thLeft,th.thRight,th.thBottom,th.thCornerL,th.thCornerR { font-weight: bold; border: #FFFFFF; border-style: solid; height: 28px; } td.row3Right,td.spaceRow { background-color: #D1D7DC; border: #FFFFFF; border-style: solid; } th.thHead,td.catHead { font-size: 12px; border-width: 1px 1px 0px 1px; } th.thSides,td.catSides,td.spaceRow { border-width: 0px 1px 0px 1px; } th.thRight,td.catRight,td.row3Right { border-width: 0px 1px 0px 0px; } th.thLeft,td.catLeft { border-width: 0px 0px 0px 1px; } th.thBottom,td.catBottom { border-width: 0px 1px 1px 1px; } th.thTop { border-width: 1px 0px 0px 0px; } th.thCornerL { border-width: 1px 0px 0px 1px; } th.thCornerR { border-width: 1px 1px 0px 0px; } /* The largest text used in the index page title and toptic title etc. */ .maintitle { font-weight: bold; font-size: 22px; font-family: "Trebuchet MS",Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-decoration: none; line-height : 120%; color : #000000; } /* General text */ .gen { font-size : 12px; } .genmed { font-size : 11px; } .gensmall { font-size : 10px; } .gen,.genmed,.gensmall { color : #000000; } a.gen,a.genmed,a.gensmall { color: #006699; text-decoration: none; } a.gen:hover,a.genmed:hover,a.gensmall:hover { color: #DD6900; text-decoration: underline; } /* The register, login, search etc links at the top of the page */ .mainmenu { font-size : 11px; color : #000000 } a.mainmenu { text-decoration: none; color : #006699; } a.mainmenu:hover{ text-decoration: underline; color : #DD6900; } /* Forum category titles */ .cattitle { font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px ; letter-spacing: 1px; color : #006699} a.cattitle { text-decoration: none; color : #006699; } a.cattitle:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } /* Forum title: Text and link to the forums used in: index.php */ .forumlink { font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px; color : #006699; } a.forumlink { text-decoration: none; color : #006699; } a.forumlink:hover{ text-decoration: underline; color : #DD6900; } /* Used for the navigation text, (Page 1,2,3 etc) and the navigation bar when in a forum */ .nav { font-weight: bold; font-size: 11px; color : #000000;} a.nav { text-decoration: none; color : #006699; } a.nav:hover { text-decoration: underline; } /* Name of poster in viewmsg.php and viewtopic.php and other places */ .name { font-size : 11px; color : #000000;} /* Location, number of posts, post date etc */ .postdetails { font-size : 10px; color : #000000; } /* The content of the posts (body of text) */ .postbody { font-size : 12px; line-height: 18px} a.postlink:link { text-decoration: none; color : #006699 } a.postlink:visited { text-decoration: none; color : #5493B4; } a.postlink:hover { text-decoration: underline; color : #DD6900} /* Quote & Code blocks */ .code { font-family: Courier, 'Courier New', sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #006600; background-color: #FAFAFA; border: #D1D7DC; border-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px } .quote { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #444444; line-height: 125%; background-color: #FAFAFA; border: #D1D7DC; border-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px } -->
Rance, pay as much attention to instability as you are to wind forecasts.? The ridge soarability varies with the relative instability of the airmass.? I?ve ridge soared in 5mph of 80 cross.? ?A ridge with good sun can be very soarable at the right time with very little breeze.? Also pay as much mind to the cloud forecasts.?
?
Fly the sky.
?
Kev C
?

Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 8:12 AM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org (hg_forum@chgpa.org)
Subject: WS Minimums

?

Rance