blues in NYC

For non-flying fun with pilots, friends, and family.
Ski trips, Ethiopean-nights, movies, biking, climbing... All that fun stuff you can't do in the sky.

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

brianvh

blues in NYC

Post by brianvh »

So I try to take a possible collaborator from Alabama out to my favorite Harlem haunt at the tail end of a snowstorm. Nope, the place is quiet, they cancelled the act due to snow. Where else to go on a weeknight after a storm? Greenwich village, of course.

On a whim we stop off at central park on the way: dark forest coated with ice, surrounded by the blazing city. magic.

Then we get to Terra Blues, and struck gold. Howlin' Wolf's old friend Eddie Vaan Shaw had inherited the Wolf band, and this was their rare one-night stop in New York. We got there at 9:30, originally planning to stay one set and go, but couldn't hoist our chins off the floor after the first set. We finally left around 3 am, and my new friend had a plane to catch at 6 am. yeah, he's agreed to collaborate with us.

I was thinking the zoobar crowd would like to know there's an every-day of the week definite blues show in NYC, though I can't guarantee something as good as what we got thursday night. I still love and miss the Zoobar, but ya'll are invited to try something else.
Brian Vant-Hull