Massanutten HG Soaring From a Sailplane

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Danny Brotto

Massanutten HG Soaring From a Sailplane

Post by Danny Brotto »

Craig Sutherland, a glider pilot from who flies from Front Royal, forwarded to me this vid from 2004 of HG soaring from a sailplane's perspective. You need to watch for a couple of minutes before the 2 divers come into view.

http://www.vimeo.com/419125

HR 2morrow???

Danny Brotto
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

HR 2morrow???
I'm in, not that I think it's gonna be good.
Danny Brotto

HR Saturday...

Post by Danny Brotto »

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =graphical

NOAA calls for rain and muck ending at noon w/ NW winds in the afternoon. Link to the Hagerstown cast.

Danny Brotto
Dan T

Fun video

Post by Dan T »

That was a fun video to watch on a cold December evening. Does anybody recognize the hang glider pilots? They got a bit of the undersurface of the gliders in view.

Dan T
XCanytime

Pilot Identities

Post by XCanytime »

Hank Hengst and Bruce Engen were the pilots on a Tuesday, Dec. 14th, 2004. Bacil
jclaytor

Very cool video

Post by jclaytor »

The flying was very inspiring. Makes one want to brave the cold...
Is it worth it? Hell yeah! That sailplane is heated right?
JC
Danny Brotto

Heated...

Post by Danny Brotto »

John

Not heated other than the solar effects of the large canopies, which is not insignificant. (When Fossett et. al. were atempting their trips to 100K ft, they did have space suits heated with special on-board batteries, but that's a different matter.) You can all but remove the wind chill factor out of the equation too. All in all even in the coldest weather, it's not difficult to dress for a comfy ride. Opening a window vent takes care of the "dressed too warm" situations.

Danny Brotto