Training Hill Fly-In????

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

Training Hill Fly-In????

Post by Matthew »

Hey All,

Smithsburg will hopefully be open soon. Anyone interested in doing a Training Hill Fly-In next month or sometime this winter??? It would be a great opportunity for people who haven't foot launched in a while to brush up and a good day for hang 1s and 2s to practice launching and landing and get to know other pilots in the region. Instructors and their students would also be encouraged to attend. Plus, it's just plain fun to fly at Smithsburg in the winter. We can have a spot landing contest, furthest flight contest, number of flights contest, etc.

So if you think that this is a good idea, send me a message at

mcgraham20@hotmail.com

If we have enough interest, we'll set up a date (and a back-up date) and get clearance from the landowners.

Matthew
XCanytime

Brilliant!

Post by XCanytime »

Matthew,
Excellent idea! I can't think of a better opportunity to practice balancing, launching, landing, and ground handling the glider in moderate to significant wind. A pilot with little to no confidence on launch will get cured with a few sessions at Smithsburg in moderate to breezy conditions. They have no choice but to get cured. They have to carry their glider up the hill in wind, which trains them to ground handle the glider. They must learn how to park their glider at the top without it getting picked up and tossed into the wind. Then with assistance, they will hook in and have to balance the glider in the wind before launching. These 3 phases are critical and are the most beneficial in creating the "muscle memory" (instinct) that will serve them well at all of the mountain sites.

Bacil
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Jolly Good Idea "Ole Boy".
Another entry- oldest glider!
Sounds like a fun time. I need the exercise.....
Nothing from Eddie yet....
Shawn.
mikel

funny stuff great idea

Post by mikel »

LOL...... How bout oldest pilot.... :lol:

'Til then, Mike
Mike Lee

How 'Bout That
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I think I have Sallie talked into kiting my paraglider at Smithsburg. Also, I've lost the bubble on the "club glider". Do we still have one? It's the big one, right? Should we bring it out? - Hugh
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Also, I've lost the bubble on the "club glider". Do we still have one? It's the big one, right? Should we bring it out? - Hugh
Yes, you have lost the bubble. We sold the big glider to Paul Tjaden. The small one is in the custody of BVH.
David Bodner
KathyC

training hill fly-in

Post by KathyC »

This is a great idea. I've been out of the loop for a bit....are folks still planning on doing this?
Kathy
markc

Post by markc »

It's been two months since I've been able to fly, so I could certainly
be sold on a T-Hill day, hopefully at a fun site like Smithsburg.

Maybe we should just say: Come on out for the first NW@10 day!

I'll bring the hot chocolate :)

MarkC
Batman

Post by Batman »

One of the club gliders, the Pulse 11m that I gave to Rance is unaccounted for. I'm not sure if he still has it or where it resides, but the intent was that when Rance was done with it, it would be returned to a up n coming CHGPA pilot. I'm not sure if that ever happened, but if it hasn't, I think we should request it be returned for the good of the club. If anyone has Rance's phone number, I'd be glad to follow up on it.

C
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

PM sent to Batman.
David Bodner
dbodner

a bit off-topic

Post by dbodner »

Does anyone know why the Pulse 11m is known as an 11m? I calculate that to be 118 square feet. Doesn't seem right to me.
David Bodner
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Well, they say 11 m^2 but that would indeed be 118 feet^2 only.
It's the biggest pulse and I think there's no reason to assume it's much different from an Eagle 180 or a Sonic 190. You don't want to be heavier than 210 lb. to fly that glider, that much I'm certain of.
bustedwing2

11m

Post by bustedwing2 »

Wingspan perhaps? RichB