newbies seeking lessons

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

crowland

newbies seeking lessons

Post by crowland »

Hi! I'm a complete newbie, have never been paragliding before, but a couple of friends and I really want to learn. We're looking for someplace in the DC area, with the intention of taking lessons over spring break. So far I've found one possibility in Germantown (the place listed on this website, owned by Jim Kaplan) and another in WV (called Fly WV; fellow named Dwayne McCourt). Anyone have any other ideas or have any experience with either of these two schools? We would prefer someplace a little closer to DC than the WV school, as we're students without regular access to a car.

This has been on my list of things to make time for for almost a year now, and I can't wait to get started! Thanks for any help, encouragement, words of wisdom, warnings, etc.

Clare
Matthew

Paragliding Instructor

Post by Matthew »

Hi Clare,

You can also contact Juanito Ortiz of East Winds Paragliding in Arlington, Va. 703-772-2039.

All of the local training hills are at least an hour's drive from downtown DC. Juaninto provides transportation to the training hills in a van.

Fall and winter are actually a great time to learn to fly because there are more training hills open. A lot of the hills are on farms and the hills are closed in the summer due to crops.

Matthew Graham
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Hi, Clare-

Just want to second what Matthew wrote.

Juan and Jim (who teaches with Stephane Pasqual) are both really good guys. So you can train with whomever is a good match. As Matthew mentioned, don't get caught up with where the instructor is based. Sadly, none of the places you go train are going to be convenient, but checking out new places is part of the fun. Let me also add that it is worth the effort. It is as fun as it looks.

I live in DC and am always happy to talk flying. Send me a PM if you and your friends want to have a drink sometime.

Cheers,
Daniel
kcarra

Post by kcarra »

Hi Clare

Nice to hear about a potential new woman pilot! I fly both hang gliders and paragliders (Hang glider alot more). Matthew and I enjoy playing with our PGs at the training hills in the winter when it's too cold (at least for me) to fly the mountains. Hope to see you out there soon!

Karen
Karen Carra