Flying in owens

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

juanito

Flying in owens

Post by juanito »

Hey, just to let you know that i'm going to owens this weekend for a comp i was there last year it was incredible, i'll be posting some nice pictures.

Juanito
Spark

Post by Spark »

I'll be there too. Hope to see you there
'Spark
scudkid

Post by scudkid »

Good Luck Juan! Look forward to the pics.
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

You go, guys! Looking forward to reports. - Hugh
Spark

Re: Flying in owens

Post by Spark »

juanito wrote:Hey, just to let you know that i'm going to owens this weekend for a comp i was there last year it was incredible, i'll be posting some nice pictures.

Juanito
Based on that winter storm, I diverted to SoCal, flew Torrey Pines and Elsinore instead. It was blown out for PG at Torrey (25mph+) on Friday. It was a day for the Hangs to rule.

On Saturday, Elsinore had light to moderate Sata Anna winds and I flew a Falcon3 170. I finally flew the PG at Vail ( BellyAche Ridge) on my way home.

How was the Owens?
'Spark
bustedwing2

f3

Post by bustedwing2 »

What's you're opinion of the falcon3?
juanito

owens

Post by juanito »

I just got back from Owens could't send any information during the comp no time.
Well it was Great, conditions were variable the 1st day saturday it was blown out no flying, 2nd day it was weak almost no wind but we manage to do a task.
The mountains there are just beatiful, we flew the whites they go up to 13,000 feet. You have the valley below it's a dessert really hot full of rocks and bushes with huge thornes the mountains start really nice is like a slope(training hill) but then the rocks get bigger and the mountains too the higher you go the deepest you can fly in the mountains(some times it pays to fly there, some times it does not) The canyons are so raw 90 degree wall of rocks(imagine the thermals ) the change of colors from light brown to really dark brown and black. Flying over those canyons was amazing.
Well going back to the 2nd day it was weak and there was a huge inversion so we did about 11 miles in 2 hours of flying,everybody flew, it was nice i landed witn the main pack 5
3rd day we thouht it was gonna be like the day before some people launch early and went down the start time was at 2pm so i figure i'll takeoff at 1:55 and fly as far as i can. So i"m ready to take off and this cycle passes i launch and went up like crazy so everybody launch and we had a race, it was nice everybody was screming and yelling a group went on ahead 4 guys i decided to stay back a little, it was a race to goal 26miles the conditions started to get better and better so i try to fly in the mountains at the begining but it was not working so i got low and had to go out on the way out i caught a nice boomer going the way i wanted togo and follow it in to the mountains again but this time it was working perfect, so all i did was follow the lift not much turning surfing the mountains and caught the main group right before going towards goal.
Goal was about 10km away from the mountains in Benton but i had a great line and went for it. I made it but had to land in a school yard i was going at 70km down wind(42 miles) so it was kind of a low turn into the wind .
But yeah made it first so i won.Yeahhhhhhhhh
I'm gonna try to put some pictures

Juanito
juanito

owens

Post by juanito »

mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Great job, Juanito! Big congratulations on your win! - Hugh

P.S. Whenever you are ready, tell us about your plans for a school - prospective students are asking...
Marcel Dettling

Post by Marcel Dettling »

Well done and thanks for writing it up, Juan!

Cheers,

Marcel
scudkid

Post by scudkid »

Congrats Juan!
Spark

Post by Spark »

Hey Juan,

Congratulations!

I should shave 'stayed my course' and come up to the Owens.

Now I've got a great excuse to go back there and correct my error.

Come fly the Rockies next season.

Spark (just got my new Sport 2!)
'Spark
juanito

owens

Post by juanito »

Hey spark the place is just so.....SO GOOD is like flying over the moon(not that i've done it, want to....)the desert, mountains, Altitude, weather is very special after landing you still have that feeling of guauuu Mannn i want to do it again and it last for a couples of days, you shoud defenetly go sometime.
Hugh i've got the school going, this weekend i have students and also tandems so just let me know I'M BACK teaching full time know.

Juanito