Apathy... Pathetic!

For topics that don't fit into any of the other forums: politics, rant-n-raves, cool web sites, anything and everything goes!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I'm not opposed to Friday meetings. But, I think the reason we never did it before was that restaurant/bars tend to be crowded then. Since we haven't met in one for awhile, maybe that's a moot point.
David Bodner
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

A bar or restaurant is not only crowded, it's also loud and expensive and in my view the worst place to meet. What the...?
Is there nobody who's willing to hold the party/meeting at their houses?
Come on over guys, Leonie and I have a 2 bedroom apartment and I'm sure we will be able to make enough room for a club meeting. We're not really worried about too many showing up anymore LOL
Picking up on where Mark left off, transitioning to the mountains was the most frustrating part for both Glen and I. If it hadn't been for Steve Kinsley and especially Brian we would still be H2. How about you finally get rid of that pointless observer list for a start, that one has been a real joke.
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

What's wrong with the observer list?

On the meeting venue, we have enjoyed meeting in Kelvin's beautiful great room a couple of times, but I don't think we could do that every time - maybe once a year if he's willing...

Bidding is still open for the holiday party venue - without consulting Sallie, I offer up our house...

- Hugh

P.S. Janni - major kudos for putting on the Pulpit fly-in - and to the other volunteers who contributed their efforts.
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Jodie keeps offering our house. And it goes with the recent theme of reducing my travel requirements. On the other hand...

A while ago when I suggested canning the meetings, someone else said the meetings are useful for new people to come and meet us. And I had to admit that's correct. That's what I did in San Diego and here: I got started by attending a meeting. If we meet in a private home, it'll be harder (psychologically) for a newbie to show up. Then again...

I'm also thinking we reduce the meetings to board meetings, but being open to the members. It's not like we've had much need for voting by the general membership. And if we did, I'd rather we get more votes than just those who show up.

If you're looking for a consistently held opinion, look elsewhere.
David Bodner
markc

Post by markc »

About the observer list:

The problem has been that the club roster is the source of the most
up-to-date observer info, and the management of that roster was in
disarray until very recently, when Dave B volunteered to get things back
on track.

He has completed that effort, and then I had to revive some code
which generates the online roster from data that Dave provides.

The Fly-In and other tasks had priority, so I couldn't complete that task
until today. But as of now, the on-line roster now reflects the content
of Dave's spreadsheet, and the observer information on it is up-to-date:

http://www.chgpa.org/Members/chgpa.roster.html

There is also a Hang-II guide on our website:

http://www.chgpa.org/Education/h2.guide.html

The observer info there is obsolete, but at least there is a reference
to the on-line roster. We hope to replace this page with something
that provides newly-rated pilots with more information, all kinds of
contacts, etc.

MarkC
CraginS

Current Observer List

Post by CraginS »

Current list of Observers is available with two links:

http://ushpa.aero/observe_table.asp?state=md
http://ushpa.aero/observe_table.asp?state=va

The DC Observers are captured in the MD list.

Maybe we can add those links to appropriate places in the web site?

This pulls them directly from USHPA instead of relying on the local club roster.

Bacil and Hugh are Observers? Who knew?
And, I assume that Thomas Miller of Smithsburg is Eddie.
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Just for fun, I think you should remove Chris McKee from the roster and see what happens.
Brian Vant-Hull
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I note that Joe Gregor is not on the roster (wanted to call him about doing a waiver for the High Rock party). Now, either:

(1) Joe didn't pay and we should sic Matthew on him, or

(2) Joe did pay and he was omitted in error, but

(3) he's the Examiner who appoints all the instructors, who appoint all the observers, so his numbers/e-mail should be available somewhere in case, for example, we want to get some instructor/observer's ticket pulled.

Yeah, I volunteered to be an observer after Sparky and Brian left; figured we needed more; but haven't had the opportunity to observe anyone yet.

Anyway, you need 30-60 days lead time to invoke the waiver (why?) so we won't have it in place for the weekend. Cross your fingers... - Hugh
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Joe's on my list. He was one of the people who paid through MHGA, so I got the info kind of late.
David Bodner
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

mcelrah wrote: (3) he's the Examiner who appoints all the instructors, who appoint all the observers, so his numbers/e-mail should be available somewhere in case, for example, we want to get some instructor/observer's ticket pulled.

Yeah, I volunteered to be an observer after Sparky and Brian left; figured we needed more; but haven't had the opportunity to observe anyone yet.

Anyway, you need 30-60 days lead time to invoke the waiver (why?) so we won't have it in place for the weekend. Cross your fingers... - Hugh
Actually, Examiners don't appoint Instructors, they appoint Observers. Instructors are not appointed, they earn their Instructor rating by passing an Instructor's Certification Clinic (ICP) and jumping thru various other hoops as set forth by the USHPA.
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Well, Richard appointed me an observer, so is he an examiner or an instructor? My understanding is that Joe is some kind of authority, too...
- Hugh
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

mcelrah wrote:Well, Richard appointed me an observer, so is he an examiner or an instructor? My understanding is that Joe is some kind of authority, too...
- Hugh
If Richard appointed you as an Observer, then he is an Examiner. He may also be an Instructor, but that has no bearing on his ability to appoint you as an Observer.
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Examiners are appointed by Regional directors and tasked with the proper implementation of the USHPA observer program. Occassionally, a RD can appoint a "special observer" who can address regional shortcomings in instructional availability.

The intent of the observer program was originally to designate a pilot with the experience and skills to help "nurture" newer pilots to high flight and to be able to witness and sign off on tasks towards upper ratings and special skills sign-offs. An observer can only sign off ratings and skills which they themselves hold.

IMO, the observer program has broken down and needs to be fixed. Observers today typically provide "launch chaperon" duty and issue H3 and H4 ratings. For a variety of reasons, I believe that the training demands of these functions necessitate better guidance that is more in line with what professional instructors do. I say this not because I think these functions should be under the administration of instructors necessarily--but because we are losing a high percentage of new H and P 2's, which I believe is due to a lack of qualified transitional instruction.

marc
Great Googly-moo!