Hook-In Check at Pulpit Fly-In

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

Hook-In Check at Pulpit Fly-In

Post by Matthew »

The relatives of Bill Priday are suing the flight director of the Tennesse Tree Toppers and USHPA because Bill launched unhooked at a meet held by the Tree Toppers a couple of years ago. As the Pulpit Fly-In is an open fun competition, there will likely be visiting pilots and pilots there who don't fly often and/or usually fly at the tow parks. And a very experienced pilot launched unhooked, and survived, a few years ago when launching from the Pulpit. Thus, we all need to be especially vigilant that everyone is hooked in before launching. If you are asked to be part of a wire crew and you have not seen the pilot do a hang check and hook-in check, then insist on one.

If someone is launching a paraglider, ask to see that their leg loops and chest straps are buckled.

Matthew
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

And don't be reluctant to accept a hang check... even if you're sure you're hooked in ;)
theflyingdude

Re: Hook-In Check at Pulpit Fly-In

Post by theflyingdude »

Matthew wrote:The relatives of Bill Priday are suing the flight director of the Tennesse Tree Toppers and USHPA because Bill launched unhooked at a meet held by the Tree Toppers a couple of years ago. As the Pulpit Fly-In is an open fun competition, there will likely be visiting pilots and pilots there who don't fly often and/or usually fly at the tow parks. And a very experienced pilot launched unhooked, and survived, a few years ago when launching from the Pulpit. Thus, we all need to be especially vigilant that everyone is hooked in before launching. If you are asked to be part of a wire crew and you have not seen the pilot do a hang check and hook-in check, then insist on one.

If someone is launching a paraglider, ask to see that their leg loops and chest straps are buckled.

Matthew
I never met or knew Bill Priday, but I remember the flurry of postings on this message board that followed his accident. I wonder which "relatives" are choosing to pursue such an apparently merit-less law suit? I would have asked "why" they would choose such a course of action, but that answer seems readily apparent. I wonder what he'd have to say about it if he was still with us?

Personally, I would be ashamed of my "relatives" for trying to blame someone else for my own careless mistake/s, but this is America and in our society, it's always someone else's fault when something goes wrong.

JR
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

I would guess they're not doing it for the money so much as to convince the community to tighten up safety standards. If so, I may not really agree with it, but I can see where they're coming from. Not knowing the details I prefer to believe in good intentions. My own brand of innocence.

We've pretty much all had our say in the matter a couple years ago, so I'm done.
Brian Vant-Hull
Batman

Post by Batman »

I was going to say the same thing as JR so I'm glad the sentiment has been spoken. Kind of irked me when I read that there was a lawsuit. I was on the ramp when Bill almost launched unhooked at the Pulpit. He got a good berating from both Cragin & I. You'd of thought he would of become much more aware, but obviously the facts stand for themselves. It just makes the matter that much more sad that his relatives are taking the route of what I consider the dregs of society that all they can do to come to grips with the tragedy is ruin someone elses life along with it. I guess misery truly does love company. Its become America's favorite pasttime to pass blame onto everyone else vice taking responsibility for your own actions. Oops I spilled hot coffee in my lap while I was typing this ... I better sue Starbucks. Out
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Batman wrote:I was going to say the same thing as JR so I'm glad the sentiment has been spoken. Kind of irked me when I read that there was a lawsuit. I was on the ramp when Bill almost launched unhooked at the Pulpit. He got a good berating from both Cragin & I. You'd of thought he would of become much more aware, but obviously the facts stand for themselves. It just makes the matter that much more sad that his relatives are taking the route of what I consider the dregs of society that all they can do to come to grips with the tragedy is ruin someone elses life along with it. I guess misery truly does love company. Its become America's favorite pasttime to pass blame onto everyone else vice taking responsibility for your own actions. Oops I spilled hot coffee in my lap while I was typing this ... I better sue Starbucks. Out
Yep? FUBAR
Shawn.
huddlec

Post by huddlec »

Don't be so quick to make fun of the woman who sued McDonalds - unless you read what actually happened:
http://portal.trialsmith.com/CA/index.c ... e&pg=facts

A agree with Matthew and I think we've been good about doing hang checks at all our fly-ins in the past. Just need to keep up the good work.
Christy
Batman

Post by Batman »

Actually I wrote a term paper based upon the facts within the McDonalds case. Yes it was hot ... yes it burnt her flesh severely. Boil (sorry for the pun) it down to the basics though and she spilled hot coffee WHILE DRIVING and then sued Micky D's. Now due to the fallout of that case ... you'll note that all Fast Food including Starbucks have to put the legal disclaimer on the side of their cups that reads "Caution Coffee is hot" ..... NO SHIT SHIRLOCK ... I didn't ask for a F'ing Frappaucino. Talk about a firm grasp of the obvious. Maybe instead they should of said "Caution. Idiots shouldn't drive with this cup between their legs ... thats what Cupholders are for Moron." I think that would of covered the issue a little more thoroughly.

C
huddlec

Post by huddlec »

Looks like you didn't read the info on the link I gave, Chris, or you would know that she wasn't driving when the coffee was spilled. You might also note that there were a lot more people who suffered severe burns from McD's coffee. Read the entire thing. And have a little sympathy for others.
Christy
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

huddlec wrote:Looks like you didn't read the info on the link I gave, Chris, or you would know that she wasn't driving when the coffee was spilled. You might also note that there were a lot more people who suffered severe burns from McD's coffee. Read the entire thing. And have a little sympathy for others.
Christy
Gee Christy, do you think that the "opinion" of this case written by the Consumer Attorneys of California is an objective one? Supposedly, one of the big reasons that MickeyD's lost this case was that the Quality Assurance Manager who testified was a total jerk and the jury hated him because of his attitude. Juries can be very fickle and can be influenced by a variety of factors that have nothing to do with facts of a case or the law.
deveil

Post by deveil »

Forest Gump wrote: stoopid iyuhzs as stoopid dah-uhz.

(as usual, no meaning should be ascribed to this posting) :roll:
garyDevan
markc

Post by markc »

Could I ask that we please not detract from the importance of this thread
by morphing it into a debate about the litigious nature of our culture?

Please take debates like that to the General Discussions forum, thanks!

Getting back to Matthew's main point: We may have pilots who aren't
very familiar with our launch sites, and there are more opportunities
for distraction at Fly-In events. So please be vigilant about hang checks.
Certainly/obviously as pilot-in-command, but also keep an eye out for
others if you are helping on wirecrew.

Fly safe this weekend!

MarkC
PKane

Post by PKane »

Bill's kids are the ones suing. They are suing for $10,000,000.00. They are suing the meet director, TTT and USHGA. The judge is ruling on the case today 9/14/07. Peter
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

PKane wrote:Bill's kids are the ones suing. They are suing for $10,000,000.00. They are suing the meet director, TTT and USHGA. The judge is ruling on the case today 9/14/07. Peter
Which probably means their mother is suing in their name, but I'm sure it's just to convince the flying community to tighten up safety standards. :roll:

Please pass along the judge's ruling if you have access to that information.

JR
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

PKane wrote:Bill's kids are the ones suing. They are suing for $10,000,000.00. They are suing the meet director, TTT and USHGA. The judge is ruling on the case today 9/14/07. Peter
9/25, according to Steve Lee.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
Scott

Post by Scott »

I just saw this news...and am really saddened to hear Bill's kids are doing this. I knew Bill well, and he'd be the first person to say "My bad" and would be horrified if he knew what they're doing.

Having said that, I was the one back after the accident who was expressing disbelief that nobody at launch that day even bothered to so much as *look* at Bill's hang straps, much less ask for a hang check.

So...while I completely agree that we should all be responsible for our own actions, saying that doesn't absolve the rest of us from keeping an eye on each other!

Scott
Scott

Post by Scott »

PS - In my previous statement, I'm by NO means supporting the lawsuit---being a good friend and fellow pilot (and keeping an eye on each other) should NOT make any of us (individually or collectively) legally culpable.

Just wanted to make that clear!
Scott
Holly

Willing to testify on USHPA's Behalf

Post by Holly »

As someone who almost killed myself in this sport, I am the first to admit that my accident was wholly my fault and I would be happy to state as much in a court of law in the Bill Priday case. Could someone have said to me, "Holly, I think you're about to make some bad decisions for this flight," .. absolutely, but it was MY decision to launch and, therefore, the results of my decision were MY responsibility. Again, who was responsible for my accident and my injuries?

ME!
ME!
ME!

Okay, repeat after me:

It is my choice to fly and, therefore the consequences of my choice are MY responsibility.

Bill was a good friend and its unfortunate that he is no longer part of this reality, but his family's choice to pursue monetary compensation for the loss of someone upon which they were no longer financial dependent and how was a voluntary participant in a sport about which he knew the risks is a lousy decision, in my opinion.

Regards,
Holly (wanna see my CT scans and dental panoramic?)
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

Does anyone know how the litigation was resolved in the suit filed by Bill Priday's survivors?

JR
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

theflyingdude wrote:Does anyone know how the litigation was resolved in the suit filed by Bill Priday's survivors?

JR
No mention of it down here in TTT land so far.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

If the plaintiffs are really motivated by a desire to tighten up hang-gliding procedures, I am confident they will turn over the proceeds (after lawyer fees) to the USHPA safety foundation... - Hugh