My Views on the Flytec Comp

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Paul Tjaden

My Views on the Flytec Comp

Post by Paul Tjaden »

Since the terrible tragedies of two years ago when we lost two of our good comrades at Quest, it seems to me that there has been a general feeling in our area that this comp was inherently dangerous and that there was a lack of concern for pilot safety by the management. Those of us who had never been here imagined the launch as pandemonium and chaos and that it would be miraculous if one survived unscathed. Well....I wasn't here two years back but I can tell you that judging from my experience this year, nothing could be further from the truth. This comp is a well organized, smooth running machine and pilot safety is a key topic every day. The tug pilots are of the highest caliber and watching the hour or so of launch is an incredible sight. Aerial ballet at its finest! Yes, with this much aviation being committed in this small of a space, there is always potential for an accident but if it happens, it won't be due to a cavalier attitude by the organizers or the lack of skill of the pilots involved.
If you've never been here for the comp, you're really missing something. Com eon down for a look some year.

Paul