Hiking Quandary Peak

For non-flying fun with pilots, friends, and family.
Ski trips, Ethiopean-nights, movies, biking, climbing... All that fun stuff you can't do in the sky.

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Spark

Hiking Quandary Peak

Post by Spark »

Colorado has more than 50 mountain peaks over 14000 feet. I hiked Quandary Peak with daughter and son on 8/27.

It was a bit more difficult than expected. We summited in just over 5 hours, and were rewarded by close encounters with mountain goats.

A map of Quandary Peak:
http://www.14ers.com/routemaps.php?rout ... ary%20Peak

A link to a slideshow of the photos:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/slideshow/560453285JjecId
'Spark
Gene

Post by Gene »

Sparky, you are a very good father. Words are hard to describe the moments you have with your children. Happy (early) Fathers Day! Also, a great mentor to HG / PG.
Gene
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

About 10 years ago I hiked a 14ner with uncle and brother the morning after arriving in colorado, so wasn't acclimated yet. I lost all will to live at 12,000 feet, and my brother had to kick me to look around when we reached the top. Just wasn't interested anymore. As soon as I crossed back below the magical threshold I sprang back to life. You three should have had no problems. I guess the kids (teenagers) went frisking around up top?

The main thing I remember is at the bottom of the trail there was a sign of trail rules. One of them was "no Hang Gliding".
Brian Vant-Hull
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

ps - incredible pictures of the billy goats. I can't believe they let you walk right up to them. I also have a hard time wrapping my mind around a full-sized Colton.
Brian Vant-Hull
Spark

Post by Spark »

<embed></embed>
'Spark
Spark

The McDream

Post by Spark »

'Spark
Spark

Post by Spark »

brianvh wrote:ps - incredible pictures of the billy goats. I can't believe they let you walk right up to them. I also have a hard time wrapping my mind around a full-sized Colton.
We had to move slowly so as not to alarm the fauna ;)

Colton grew about 6 inches this year ... don't know how 'cause he mainly eats and breathes guitar. This is one of Colton's latest musical creations, named Mezmeric

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/riffcast ... .php?/5586
'Spark
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

So what software application do we need to listen to your offerings? I got the file extension '.ogg', and my computer's as mystified as I am.
Brian Vant-Hull
Spark

Post by Spark »

brianvh wrote:So what software application do we need to listen to your offerings? I got the file extension '.ogg', and my computer's as mystified as I am.
Each tune is accompanied by a player gizmo with a 'little traingular play button. I just double-click the triangle, wait for it to load and listen. Sometimes, I need to move the little slider bar to get it moving. Speakers are certainly required.
'Spark