Reach for the Sky, Become a Pilot Family Day

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Saturday, June 16, 10 am – 3 pm
Udvar Hazy Center,
Air & Space Museum

The Smithsonian has accepted CHGPA's application to exhibit in this event: http://www.nasm.si.edu/becomeapilot/index.cfm

I will set up my Wills Wing U2 and Ozone Buzz but need friendly folks to help me chat up free-flight to an aviation-minded audience. Please let me know what time frame you can swing by to help me man our display: dbrox@gwu.edu

*Sunday will be a better flying day than Saturday.

*The website lists some of the aircraft that will be on display. We will share the tarmac with an F-16, KC-135, A-10, T-38 and several old warbirds. Way cool!

*We are lucky to have the nation's premier aerospace museaum in our backyard and even luckier that they welcome us to their biggest public event.

*A great family outing.

*This event, along with the Kite Festival, comprises our club’s major PR activities for the year and we need your support.

*PG pilots bring your wing to kite. I was not successful in getting a low scooter tow approved by the Dulles tower but will be kiting if there’s a breeze. (I wasn’t declined on the scooter-tow, just didn’t get through the process in time. Maybe next year for that.)

Thanks!
~Daniel
Dan T

The location of the Udvar Hazy Center and parking costs

Post by Dan T »

That's the one next to Dulles Airport and not on the mall. I would hate to have someone who didnt read Daniel's post carefully enough show up at the wrong location.

Also the last time I was there admission was free but parking was $12.00. Be prepared for it. Unless of course Daniel can fanagle a few parking passes.

Dan T
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Yes, the location is near Dulles.

Yes, working on parking passes.

Forgot to mention...

*Event includes breakfast, lunch and a pilot's picnic later
*Meet Jerrie Mock, first woman to fly solo around the world

Whoever's coming, send me a note at dbrox@gwu.edu

Cheers,
Daniel
Marco Zee

Post by Marco Zee »

Hey,
Do you think they would actually let us fly (or perform crowd demonstrations) our HG's with the Mosquito motor harness around Dulles airspace???
Someone had previously mentioned bringing a Mosquito to this event.
Let me know if it might be feasible to FLY at this event. thanks.
Marco
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Marco Zee wrote:Do you think they would actually let us fly our HG's with the Mosquito motor harness around Dulles airspace???
Hi, Marco. Sure, all you'll need to fly your Mosquito around Dulles is an N-number, aviation band radio and a transponder. ;)

Seriously, the only thing we have a chance at is low level static winch tows.

All the best,
Daniel
Marco Zee

Post by Marco Zee »

hang_pilot wrote:
Marco Zee wrote:Do you think they would actually let us fly our HG's with the Mosquito motor harness around Dulles airspace???
Seriously, the only thing we have a chance at is low level static winch
Dan,
How LOW LEVEL are you talking about? If you tow someone up to a few hundred feet, they would still have to glide down to the ground, right? How would that be different from motoring up with a mosquito to a few hundred feet, and then flying around, then gliding back down?

Marco
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Marco Zee wrote: How LOW LEVEL are you talking about? Marco
Very low. Like 10 feet. The idea would be to demonstrate how stress-free initial instruction can be. ~Daniel
Ashley Groves

Post by Ashley Groves »

I once saw Kenny Brown tooling around and having fun in a Doodlebug at about 10 ft AGL out in the Central Valley. Could be done, if you feel comfortable.
Ashley Groves
CraginS

Can We Say Controlled Airspace, Boys & Girls?

Post by CraginS »

Best I recall, the upside down wedding cake of controlled airspace at airports like Dulles goes all the way to the ground, right?
That means that untethered free flight(CFARS Part 103) with a PG or HG, whether powered or not, is probably an airspace violation, no matter what altitude, even 5 feet AGL. Doodlebugs, Mosquitos, and PPG backpack harnesses would be in the no way category.
That said, I bet a smooth talker like Daniel could get special permission for a low n slow demo flight using a line, either winch or scooter. I imagine the requirements would include a max altitude on tow of 10 feet or so, and a promise never to release from the line and fly free.
Marco Zee

Post by Marco Zee »

Hey Dan,
I would feel comfortable flying below 30 to 40 ft AGL if you can obtain permission to do so, of course for demonstration purposes only.
Even flying at 10 ft AGL is possible, but it doesn't leave ya much room for error, turning, or maneuvering.
Marco
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Marco Zee wrote:Even flying at 10 ft AGL is possible...Marco
Sorry, Marco, as Cragin guessed, nothing untethered allowed. I could use your help manning our display, though, so let me know if you can make it: dbrox@gwu.edu

Good News...I have been promised a prominent spot as the first display people see when they exit the museum onto the ramp. That means a lot of traffic by our table. I have two volunteers but more would be helpful. This is really a cool event and volunteers get in without paying the $12 parking fee: dbrox@gwu.edu

~Daniel
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

We are set for volunteers. Thanks to David Churchill, Bacil Dickert and Santos Mendoza for doing their part to promote free flight.

~Daniel

P.S. I'm looking at Highland for Sunday. Will be there early to ride my bike if anyone wants to join in on that: 301.275.6584
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

The event was a solid success for the club. We were right in front of the door from the museum to the ramp. The 4 of us -- Bacil, Santos, David and me -- spoke with hundreds of people and collected 89 e-mail addresses for those who want to be on our mailing list. The club will send them a few messages about learning to fly, fly-in's and club meetings.

Bacil and Santos didn't even take bathroom or lunch breaks because they were having such fun. David has the kind of outgoing personality that an event like this needs; my favorite lines of his: "Hi, are you interested in learning how you can fly free like a bird?" and "It's as fun as you think it is." My personal thanks and serious positive kharma to the three of them for their service to the local free-flight community.

Best,
Daniel