Accident Report (very long)

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

padamez

Post by padamez »

It is with much regret that I have to post this accident report on myself :-(, but it also is with much relief that I am able to do this for myself and that someone else is not doing it in place of me :-)

The accident occurred on Monday afternoon at Highland Aerosports West, the now official name for the location of the RC field when it is being used to stage flight operations (as opposed to Highland East, the normal takeoff and landing area). We all were joking about how flying out of the RC field made us feel like we were at a different flight park, so we had to give it a name. The normal staging area is undergoing a rehab in preparation for the upcoming comp.

The morning was blown out, but by mid afternoon, the time of launch; it had become variable 5-11 from the East to the Southeast on the ground and maybe 15 above. There were periods of calm wind and what seemed to be thermals blowing through from time to time. The sky was clear and visibility unlimited. Pilots present were Adam, Sunny, Christy Huddle and Rich Alexander. I was flying a Wills Wing U2 160 with the stream line control frame and wheels; I use a High Energy cocoon harness and Icaro full face helmet. I am 55 years old and this is my sixth season in the sport. I only aero tow from Highland and do not fly during the winter. I have had the U2 since September of 2003.

The tow toward the east was a little choppy but not too extreme, passing through punchy areas of lift and sink, the typical spring mixing bowl. I released early at about 1800?after having passed through what I thought was some decent lift. I spent all my time drifting downwind pushing out in lift, diving out the back side in sink, coming around and then pushing out in the lift again, over and over and loosing altitude. The core was narrow and the edges sharp. It was all very tiring since I was pretty sore from flying the day before for the first time since October. I am not in very good shape this time of the year.

Since I was tired and the air was rowdy I decided to set up for a long conservative right hand approach into the RC field. My downwind leg, heading west, was choppy, base and final were smooth until I hit a big bump of lift (thermal?) at the threshold between the RC field and wheat field coming in on final. All was fine until now. Now came the critical decision point causing the accident. As I was getting bumped up the first thing that entered my mind was, crap, now I am going to miss my spot and go really long, the next mistake was thinking I had just gained enough altitude for a quick 360 to the left to come around for a new lower final. The actual altitude I had is not too clear, but I?ll guess less than 100?. Going long would have presented no problem other than a longer walk back; I had plenty of clear landing area in front of me. I chose to execute the 360.

As I was turning I saw my altitude dropping extremely fast and became very concerned but not panicky. I had false confidence. I pulled in as I banked left into the crosswind component. I then lost reference to my landing point, to the horizon and to my attitude. If I had been more clear-headed at this point I would have turned the 360 into a 270 and landed cross wind into the wheat field which would have been better than what happened next.

I got fixated on completing the 360. As I started pushing out and coming around in the turn and watching the ground approach rapidly I saw that my left wing tip was about to impact the ground first, but somehow I had the false belief that I would recover it. Then, like the transition between scenes in a movie I went from the picture of that wingtip to looking up at the sky with absolutely no memory of who I was, where I was or what time or date it was and having these strangers looking down on me. I had no idea that I had just crashed. I was probably out only for a few seconds although I have actually no idea. I knew I could speak and understand English because someone asked me a question and I understood them and answered them back. I asked where I was and someone said, Highland, and I wondered what was I doing at Highland? Sunny said he told me I was at Highland ?West? and he said I laughed. Sunny asked me if I knew what day it was, I thought about it and said I had no idea, and then he said, ?let?s call 911?. I could not remember my wife?s work number but was eventually able to recall her cell. The ambulance arrived, there was some discussion and a decision was made to airlift me to Maryland shock trauma in Baltimore to be on the safe side. While waiting for the helicopter my memory faculties slowly started to return back to normal. The helicopter ride was a surreal sensation of motion, vibration and sound, with strobing sunlight reflecting off the ceiling. I was in a trippy world.

At the hospital I was monitored, scanned and checked thoroughly and eventually given a good bill of health. The great folks there released me with instructions to take it easy for a few days and monitor myself for any adverse symptoms. I walked out with a cut and swollen nose, a minor laceration in back of my right knee, slightly sore throat from helmet impact, a very sore neck, and the world?s worst hangover, feeling extremely thankful for being spared any major injuries.

My helmet was returned to me at the hospital, the mud residue on the forehead and chin guard area, along with the dirt up my nose and in my mouth and swollen nose indicted a full face impact with the ground. The full face ICARO helmet and the soft ground of the wheat field were a significant factor in my not having a major facial injury. I was still prone when I impacted the ground and there was a significant amount of dirt on my parachute which probably helped cushion my impact. I just recently bought an open face helmet for mounting my new video camera to. That helmet will never be used for hang gliding.

Both down tubes and the lower flying wires on the glider will need replacing, Sunny will give it a complete inspection for me and see if any other damage was sustained.

Conclusion

First, I want to thank Adam and Sunny for preventing me from trying to get up or move my head around until help arrived, and for taking care of me, my glider, and other personal items. I also want to apologize for exhibiting poor judgment at their flight park.

At this time I am evaluating my future in the sport and what I will do from here. Fortunately I have the support of my family to continue on if I choose to, and I appreciate that, since I really upset everyone with what I did. I have a major question right now about my ability to make proper decisions with regard to flying and I owe it to my family and flying friends to be able to do this if I continue on.

It?s now time to get honest.

This is the second time I have pulled a low 360. The first time was when I was a new solo pilot and it was from 25 feet in my Pulse and that time I got away with it. The crew was not too pleased. I have a tendency to take risks that crop up from time to time. This was evident in other sports I have done e.g. skydiving and motorcycles. I have a risk taking personality, although I try to keep in check some times it sneaks out.

I also have a problem with getting bumped up on final approaches and it throwing my spot off, I get confused on how to handle it. Since I like to go XC I also have a fear of how to handle it if I am forced to land in a restricted field (although I shouldn?t allow that to have to happen). And why haven?t I ever mentioned these concerns to someone before? I feel I have to figure out and solve problems on my own instead of asking for help. I have a tendency to not ask for help if it may make me look stupid, although I do ask for help I am not consistent with it.

What made me think I could get away with that turn when Adam said that as soon as I executed it he knew I wasn?t going to make it? I was not in the best frame of mind for executing proper judgment. I misjudged my altitude and my ability, especially in light of the conditions of the air. I admit that at final approach I was a confused person. Why?

I was tired and I am sensitive to excessive sunlight. Sunlight and I have a love hate relationship. I need it to feel well being and love to be out in it, but too much of it can make me feel bad and muddle my brain, especially after being out in the open all day at the airport. Usually I need a few days to feel better if I get too much. If I don?t get enough of it I start to feel depressed. I especially need to acclimate myself to it after the winter months. It helps me to keep covered and use ample sun screen. I used no sunscreen that day. I know I should have used sunscreen but deliberately chose not to. Sometimes I do not properly look after myself.

I also had a sense of false self confidence because of how well I performed flying the previous day after a 6 month absence. I pushed my self too much by choosing to fly another day in a row; I monitored my condition and found myself to be less then 100% but chose to push on anyway. I should have been satisfied with what I got on Sunday and not pushed myself to fly again on Monday. I sometimes ignore vital signs and clues.

I was impatient to get quickly back up to peak flying ability so I can continue to increase my flying skills. I feel I am getting older and time may be running out. Hey there guy, your time did almost run out!
I tend to be impatient.

I know at times I can be a very good pilot, I know at times I can be a very poor pilot. I know I can be inconsistent which bugs me. I want to be consistent all the time but can I?

Can I be happy in this sport as just a casual pilot with just average abilities and not push myself to have the best flight of the day or the longest XC? What do I expect of myself? I only fly half the year. I don?t get that much time in, I can?t expect myself to match up to the others that have years of flying experience and airtime. If I am up for an hour I can be very happy and content to land, but I have found myself pushing my limits trying to eke out the extra time for a new personal record. My wife asked me what ever happened to the days you came home on cloud 9 after just having a few evening sled rides. What about that thing you wrote about always being in the sweet spot and never forgetting the day you soloed. Can I be content on not taking risks and choosing not to fly during times I am not at 100%? Can I trust myself to stand down when I need to, or to consistently do what I need to take care of myself? Can I ask for help? Can I be safe in an aircraft? Can I attain consistency?

I will not fly again until I can honestly answer those questions.

I would like myself to be that pilot who is comfortable with their limitations, can work within them and accept whatever results that brings, rather than be like I am, someone who wants to hide their limitations and present myself as something more than what I really am; a person with a lot of limitations.

So, in summary I will not choose to state that the cause of the accident was performing a 360 turn too close to the ground, but say: The cause of the accident was pilot made a series of bad choices fueled by defects in personality traits.

During my time in this sport I have learned a lot about myself and always felt it was helping me to be a better person, I still very much believe in that.

Thanks for lending your ear, sorry for all the personal stuff, but this has been a good exercise for me and will hopefully help me to improve on my faults. If anyone who was a witness to my accident and has some insight or corrections to add to my report please reply.

Thanks again.
Paul Adamez
rs54263

Post by rs54263 »

Paul,
Glad to hear that you're ok! Reading your report gave me flash-backs
to Terry Spencer's crash. :-(

The self-analysis is healthy; keep at it. Sharing mistakes with other
pilots is tough, because we all have egos. But I have always believed
that sharing these events is helpful to both ourselves (because of the
feedback that we get) and to the community at large (because we get to
learn from someone else's mistakes). It is especially difficult when
you know that you have done something *really* stupid, and you have to
'fess up in front of God and all of your peers. (I'm thinking of my
own poor judgment at High Rock last year as an example.) But in the
end, I still believe that it is the right thing to do.

My advice: remember that flying is supposed to be fun. If competing
with other pilots makes it less fun, then stop competing. Get a
Falcon. Accept the fact that you won't be a sky god. Then go out and
enjoy the gift of flight.

~Ralph
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Hi, Paul-

Wow. You must have taken quite a pounding to get so disoriented.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Among other things, your write up provides a good reminder for us non-comp/club pilots to consider our states of mind and body in making decisions on when to leave terra firma. I?m from 100% Northern European stock and endure a major yearly acclimation to the sunny season myself. I?m sure other folks found things in your report that hit home for them.

Whether or not you stay with the sport, glad to read your happy ending, that you?re o.k. As for that decision, for the reason Ralph mentioned I hope that you stick with flying. My 70-year-old Dad joined Alek and I at Quest last week and took a bunch of tandem lessons. During one flight they towed to 4600 feet and for the first time in his life he saw his glory in the clouds below. He?s not sure if he?ll finish the work for his AT rating, but he definitely wants to fly more. If there?s room for my Dad in hang gliding, I suspect the sport can accommodate your risk tolerance. Sunny and Adam can help and we?re all behind you.

Best,
Daniel
John Simon

Post by John Simon »

Hi Paul,
It's good to hear from you after what could have been a much more unpleasant experience... a bit scary. Sounds like quite a bit of learning is going to be done, take time to digest it . It usually takes a few days or more to fully appreciate all the factors and personal considerations.
Most of my experience scaring myself comes from other flying, but I know how you feel... almost all aviators do at one point or another.
Thank you for posting so that we can all learn from this and be smarter pilots. I'm glad to hear you're OK and there's no hurry but I hope to see you flying again soon.... wiser, safer and better!

John
Matthew

Get Well Soon

Post by Matthew »

Glad to hear you're okay Paul. And thany you very much for being so candid and filing this accident report. I hope others can learn from it. The lesson also applies to mountain flying. I'm still shocked when I see pilots, both experienced and new pilots, pulling 360s with less than a hundred feet of clearance from the tree tops or circling in the slot just after launching.

Matthew
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

What would you say is the minimum safe height to 360 above the ridge? ~Daniel

?
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 8:40 PM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Accident Report (very long)
?
Glad to hear you're okay Paul. And thany you very much for being so candid and filing this accident report. I hope others can learn from it. The lesson also applies to mountain flying. I'm still shocked when I see pilots, both experienced and new pilots, pulling 360s with less than a hundred feet of clearance from the tree tops or circling in the slot just after launching.

Matthew

Code: Select all

************************************************The information transmitted is intended solelyfor the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/orprivileged material. Any review, retransmission,dissemination or other use of or taking actionin reliance upon this information by persons orentities other than the intended recipient isprohibited. If you have received this email inerror please contact the sender and delete thematerial from any computer. [ST:A234]************************************************
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Wow Paul, I'm very glad to hear you're ok.
I'm with John on this one... take your time, figure things out, then decide what you want to do from there.

Take care buddy.
Jim
Matthew

360s

Post by Matthew »

All of this stuff is in Pagan's books. The recommended height above trees and/or terra firma for doing 360s is 300 feet. An experienced pilot on a very familiar wing can get away with 360s at 200'. Just do figure 8s till you're 300' over and then crank the 360s.

Matthew
markc

Post by markc »

I'll add to the 'glad you're ok!' chorus Paul.... sounds like it
was a close one!

As one who's had his share of scrapes, I'd recommend that
you give yourself the gifts of time and hindsight before deciding
what your course will be. You're a good pilot; we all want to
see you continue sky-ing out at Highland.

You mentioned that fatigue and sun were contributing factors...
Do you think dehydration could have been in the mix too?
Just a thought!

--mark
Richard Hays

Post by Richard Hays »

Hang in there Paul. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Rich Hays
Scott

Post by Scott »

Glad you're okay Paul! And excellent report on the accident, as well as your tough self-analysis.

You posed some questions I'm sure many people deal with---should you stay in the sport and simply fly at a lower/safer level?

I asked myself this question years ago regarding whitewater paddling. And I came up with what for me is an excellent way around. I may have said this before around here...but for me the solution was to get involved in more sports.

Obviously, in any given sport you need to reach a minimum level at which you can be safe. But many "one-sport" people, not having any other outlet, go way beyond that minimum level. I'm not questioning this---it's what gives us great accomplishments in all sports! But I'm simply saying that anyone (myself included) is far more likely to push not only their personal envelope...but THE envelope...when that one sport is all they do.

Yes, I know there are (for example) pilots who have flown for years and kept it within a very safe margin. Yes, it can be done. But (possibly like you Paul) I couldn't do this. So for me, the answer was that from whitewater paddling, I got into flyfishing...from flyfishing I got into cycling...from cycling I got into hang gliding...from hang gliding I got into snowboarding. And I still do all those things today.

Having multiple sports, any one of which I can do any time, makes me far less likely to push the envelope in any one, because I don't need to. I never get bored---if I find myself becoming "ho-hum" about flying, I go paddle.

I'm not tooting my own horn here---nor am I criticizing you Paul in any way! I'm simply presenting what I believe is a legitimate approach for people who have a tendency to take risks after they've done something for a long time. It's not for everyone, but might be something you should consider Paul---don't give up hang gliding, but also don't be afraid *not* to fly now and then and try something different! Windsurfing, for example! Another one I'm still waiting to get into! :)

Scott
Lauren Tjaden

accident report, decision making

Post by Lauren Tjaden »

Hi Paul,
First. You are loved. I am glad you are here and OK. Your introspection and efforts to understand what happened brought tears to my eyes. I have often struggled with the same kind of thing. How can I insure I will not repeat a stupid mistake? If I can't control making a mistake, then how can I keep flying? And how could I give up this sport that has become such a huge part of my life? How can I enjoy flying and be safe, too?
These are some things that have helped me. I have turned close to the ground on approach several times over the years. What I discovered was that this was usually due to me concentrating on some other thing than my approach, like getting a dribble of lift. I make simple rules for myself to deal with this. For instance, under 500 feet, I land. Period. I listen to Jonny and hear he can get up from 100 feet, but his experience and ability to multitask are not comparable to mine. I have found if I have a few seconds to think and concentrate, I do well. When I am doing lots of other tasks, I may well mess up.
I have lots of other personal rules. I unzip at 1000 feet and put my VG on my landing setting. I have added another recently. XC, at 1000 feet, I need to have a field picked out, I mean for sure that there are not power lines, etc, and the wind direction figured out. If I happen to be over the field and find a thermal, well, that is peachy. I know these guidelines are very conservative and I may miss getting up because of them. I am inexperienced, though, and I would like to live to see dinner. My rules may change as my skill increases.
Kevin was saying yesterday that we all have the pooch in us. That is, the ability to push it until we get in trouble. I think that is because it is so rewarding to feel we are achieving new goals and progressing.
One more note about something you specifically mentioned. My two major rules for landing are never start my approach too low, and never leave for final until I am 100 percent sure I will not overshoot the field. Of course my rule to never begin my approach too low (this is Chad's rule, actually) can leave me high when I am in the position to begin final. Then, I simply make figure 8 turns until I am sure I am OK, always facing where I intend to land. In a way, this takes all the stress out of it. I just have to remember to take a breath and relax, make a sweeping turn. I can see when I will not run out of field. Then all I have to do is focus on landing. Anyhow I know I am no expert but these are things that have helped me.
We will see you very soon.
Lauren
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

I've got nothing new to add to the chorus of "hang in there, Paul" except
to note that as a fellow dumbass who has gone through Baltimore Shock
Trauma, I was glad someone else noted how wonderful they are. We are
truly lucky to have them in our area.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149
rancerupp

Post by rancerupp »

Paul,

I'm glad you're fine. Thanks for sharing the details.

Rance
heaviek

Post by heaviek »

I thought something else might be worth mentioning for a proactive approach
to future flying. General tips, not specific to Paul's accident, but
related.

If you expect turbulence, then your approach should be more conservative.
Downwind of trees, below a cloud, near birds skying out...any clue that
there might be extra texture = a more conservative and ACTIVELY piloted
approach. If you have first hand confirmation that an approach is turbulent
then your conservation level should be maxed out. When air is going up, it
is also going down. You have to always prepare for "getting dumped" and the
best clue that you are about to "get dumped" is "getting popped."

Another clue to think about when landing concerns the air you were just
fighting in. If you are flying near a confirmed thermal that you just
couldn't hook into, expect that it's associated turbulence is nearby (or
everywhere). A good friend gave me some advice for flying XC. Whenever
possible plan your approach with a long leg upwind to check what turbulence
is over your spot and beyond. You want to know what air is drifting your
way (to arrive when you land).

Last thought I have is for Paul's situation specifically. Your description
of the thermal and associated technique sounds like you were always downwind
of something much bigger and just falling out the back with most turns.
Once setting up to land you would be in position to fly right into the meat
of the lift you had been missing before. For thermalling, physically
pushing out on the bar puts you at great risk if you don't let the glider
speed itself right back up the instant you transition from lift to sink.
The now stalled condition is not good for obvious reasons.

Paul, we are all glad you are OK and squeaked out with minor injuries. If
you decide you want to fly again and would like more help sorting out how to
handle similar situation don't hesitate to ask. I could speak volumes on
the topic and the offer for help never expires.

Kev
breezyk1d

Post by breezyk1d »

Paul;
Glad to hear you are well, and believe me ( a newbie H2 with attitude) it is really really worth while for you to post your comments and thoughts like you have, and I greatly appreciate your willingness to lay it all out.? It is too easy, particularly at my stage [and I suspect it only gets worse before it gets better], ?to forget that this sport has severe consequences for what feel like minor miscalculations at the time they occur.? Our human brains are wired to forget pain.? I think as a consequence our minds tend to gloss over our difficulties with time; and a fresh reminder to be ever vigilante is worth more than a million successful flights toward the same end.? Which is why an accident report serves as such an important reminder, and as a warning, to those like me struggling to remain sane with the ecstacy of flight.? ??It is easy enough to read where a person is flagellating themselves for their mistakes, and where the real issues lay.? We all beat ourselves up in different ways. ??I’ll be just as interested to learn how you go about making the adjustments you indicate you want to make, based on your experience.? ?I look forward to seeing you and learning from you at Highland this summer. – Linda B.
?
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

I am glad you are recovering Paul.? Reading your story gave me a very bad sense of deja vu.
Reading your story also reminded me of two issues I am working on?with respect to my approaches.? First, I have trouble judging my altitude when planning my approach.? As most pilots know, looking straight down from 100 feet, it's hard to judge your height, and I can't tell whether I am at?50 feet or 150 feet.? Generally, I use obstacles around the LZ to help judge my altitude, such as "be sure to turn on final above the?height of that tree."??So my first problem arises primarily when there are no?tall obstacles around the LZ? I have chosen.? In that case,?I have to take particular?care to do a basic downwind-base-final approach and keep checking the angles to my intended landing spot in order to avoid turning?too low on?final.
The second issue?is that I?found I can't use 360's to fix altitude problems down low, or?at least once I have started my approach.? If high on approach, I try to extend my approach legs or use some S-turns to?burn off the extra altitude.? However, in practice I find that I am?rarely too high on my approaches and can just fly extra fast to burn off any extra altitude.
Maybe this is not relevant to Paul's landing, but thought it might be worth sharing.?
?
Tom
??
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Paul,
If the window isn't closed for comments on your post, I have a few to
offer:

We always have variability in our performance, especially as we are
learning new skills. You've already paid the price in aluminum,
contusions and a concussion for a lesson which you will not soon forget