Party at High Rock Saturday?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

RedBaron

Party at High Rock Saturday?

Post by RedBaron »

With a beautiful summer, a surprise visitor in town and lots of people interested in flying the Rock this Saturday I thought it might be wonderful to have a spontaneous after-flight party in the LZ with Emma Jane. Don't know if people are interested in that or not, but it wouldn't be complicated if everybody brought their own stuff and meat for the grill. I could, for example, attend to the drinks (beer, soda, whine) overprice them and leave the profits with Emma Jane. These are details for later, though.
Let me know.
gtutor21157

party @ the rock

Post by gtutor21157 »

Great idea !! i'll be there no flying for getting wisdom teeth pulled but i will certainly drink
I'm BACK!!
deveil

Post by deveil »

'have no idea if i could/would make it, or if that would even count for anything :) , but the idea strikes me as a way cool way of looking at things!
garyDevan
CraginS

Rockin' Party?

Post by CraginS »

I'm in!
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Party?, Huh? What?
Sounds like the place to be.....
I'm in......
Shawn.
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Maybe we could have a meeting of the minds as well ( a small club meeting or whatever) about Emma's drive, the lane back to the LZ, and Emma mentioned something about a possible PG launch up there?What?
She said she also knows a County something(in local seat) that is building a house up the road from her that maybe could help with the PG launch.
Anyway.......
Shawn.
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I think Jodie's letting me go.
David Bodner
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Sweet!!!
Let's see. I've got the commitment of
Glen, Dave, Shawn, Cragin, George, anonymous visitor and myself.
That makes us seven. I got maybes from a few others which I hope will solidify into sure thing tomorrow. Stay tuned and remember to bring food if you want to eat.
KathyC

High Rock

Post by KathyC »

I plan to be there... flying or not :lol:
Danny Brotto

HR Saturday...

Post by Danny Brotto »

TFR looks clear so far. Might be a bit strong until l8tr in the day. I'll drop in after flying the sailplane.

Danny Brotto
deveil

Re: Party at High Rock Saturday?

Post by deveil »

jpapakrivos wrote: . . ." beautiful summer" . . . "surprise visitor" . . . "wonderful" . . . "spontaneous"
. . . sounds like. . . well it sounds like you just might be doing, uhm, okay i guess : 8)
garyDevan
Matthew

HR Saturday

Post by Matthew »

Karen and I are in if the wind looks good. Everything is showing NNW 10-15, except for the bay forecast. Saturday bay forecast is 15-20 with gusts to 25. Hope they are wrong and other forecasts are right. Can't stay late, however; we have an early appointment to be thrown off a boat on Sunday.

Matthew
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Unless there's a TFR or a dramtic change of the forecast I'll buy drinks for 15 people. Glen's bringing coolers and ice. I'll be at the rock very early in the morninge and check the grill out.
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

I have a BIG bag of charcoal for the grill. I will bring foods as well, not sure what yet. I think the Mrs. and I will just camp out in the LZ saturday night. Waynesboro isn't far for supplies and stuff if need be.
See you tomorrow afternoon.
Shawn.
KathyC

High Rock

Post by KathyC »

I'm bringing some dogs and accessories.
gtutor21157

saturday at the rock

Post by gtutor21157 »

Janni,kathy call me tell me what to grab i should be heading that way about 3ish so call me
I'm BACK!!
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

I got booze, crisps, soda, water and it should be plenty to get the campers drunk and those who have to drive back just right.
Whatever you want to bring, don't buy beverages unless beer, sangria or coke/water ain't good enough or you're determined to drink me under the table.
Bunkhouse

Post by Bunkhouse »

I'll be coming up early with the weed whacker.
Danny Brotto

HR Saturday...

Post by Danny Brotto »

If conditions are ill at HR or you want to check out alternative ways of soaring, stop by the gliderport near Sli Liberty, It's about 15 or 20 minutes from HR launch (towards Emmitsburg). Rides are generally available. Just ask for the "OD" and pose your request; mention me.

http://www.m-asa.org/MasaMap.jpg

Danny Brotto
brianvh

party at High Rock

Post by brianvh »

In case anyone didn't figure it out, I was the mystery guest. Made it to Emma's a little shy of 4 pm and spent an hour chatting and hugging. I didn't realize she and Harry had been married for 48 years: she'll be a long time coming to terms with his absence, if she ever does.

Went up top to help launch people. Didn't have my glider with me...partly because I was unsure of conditions after so long a time away from flying, and partly because I hadn't made contact with the Mike Balk and Julia, where I was storing the glider. But Steve Kingsley offered to let me fly his sport 2 after things had calmed down, followed by Dave Bodner who was willing to let me fly his Falcon 2 immediately. I can't thank them enough for the generosity and trust.

People had been hanging back for awhile after watching Kingsley sink out right off launch, so I found myself being a wind dummy on Dave's Falcon (I had brought my harness). I managed to eke out a 15 minute or so flight in choppy air. I wanted to go upwind in the north cross, but all the lift was by the rock pile. I kept being carried downwind by it, and finally ended up being hammered by sink. I was halfway to the railroad tracks by this time, and had to choose between fighting my way to the LZ from downwind in a strong cross, or going back to the ridge in hopes of regaining enough altitude to make an upwind approach. Opted for the straight shot from where I was, and barely made it...thinking I may have to go for the downwind corner of Mong's field the whole time. If I was in my old bagged out Falcon 1 I think that's where I would have been.

Not happy with letting myself get in that situation. While preparing Glen to launch later I thought I should have outlined my flight to him as a warning but didn't slip it in during the preflight check, and he ended up duplicating my flight almost exactly. Downwind lift is just too damn seductive.

Everyone showed up in the LZ for food and drinks: aside from those I've mentioned Kathy and John's semi-new H2 whose name I momentarily forget was there, but given the conditions both opted not to fly. Matt and Karen, Bunkhouse Bob, Tim, Janni, Gregory, Dennis Scheely, Danny, Cragin, Shawn Rae and Molina where all there and flew (Danny flew sailplane earlier, but not HG). Glen had the flight of the day with several thousand feet over in choppy air. The LZ was rowdy nearly the whole day. A good pile of cash was collected. We have to thank Janni for taking the initiative on this: we've got a new leader on our hands.

Janni Shawn and Molina camped out, the rest of us stopped by Emma Jane on the way out. I was one of the last to leave that night, and came in to find Dave and Bob (the two club treasurers) still with her, having presented her with a check and card. Not long after I arrived she reread the card and broke into tears. She hadn't been able to sleep at night, worrying about the funeral costs, and both our presence and the gift quite overwhelmed her. I don't know what the total is so far, but there's still a ways to go I'm sure, so if you've wanted to donate and haven't gotten around to it yet don't be shy.
Brian Vant-Hull
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

If anyone has any pictures of Emma Jane and Harry together, I'm sure she'd appreciate a copy.
David Bodner
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Thanks to everyone for showing up, bringing lots of goodies and staying late. We definitely need more girls, realizing that Bob was my only opportunity last night I almost accepted his invitation to a a dance. That was of course way before someone told me that Emma Jane thinks I'm cute. Who'd have thought? I asked her to join and she turned me down.
I had fun and one good flight in challenging conditions. Sratching low, fighting and managing 400' over a couple of times for at least 20 min I thought I was a primo example of unspeakable flying skills until Rusty referred to my flight as a sled run later. He'll regret making this statement if my application for an observer job passes next year. Can't land to save my life anymore either, so I guess my timing is off in just every respect.
CraginS

MY HR Day, June 9

Post by CraginS »

My log book tells me I had not flown High Rock since the High Rock Fly-In on August 17, 2005. That is way too long to be away from such a great flying site. Weather, schedules, complications of life, Presidential TFRs around Camp David; many reasons had kept me away from the Rock. But the Rock, and Ms. Emma Jane and Harry had been in my thoughts, especially as we got word of Harry's medical problems the past couple of years.
After Emma Jane lost Harry last month, I was able to visit with her twice. That helped me, and I hope it helped her. Then, last week the forecast was looking like a doable, if not great, HR day coming up. Many of us wanted to fly there, even if conditions worked out only as marginal, to be able to support Emma. Janni P. urged us on to turn it into a full gathering. He had the right idea, and many of the local pilots not tied up with the ECC over at Ridgely met up to fly and socialize together and with Emma.
I arrived at launch after 1:00, just in time to watch Janni leap into the sky, joining 3 others already airborne. While I set up, he and two of them found a sink cycle, but Dennis S. just got higher. With Matthew's urging to show him where the lift was, I led the second charge at about 2:40. Sure enough, I quickly made it to 400 over at the rock pile, then moved to the north, chasing Dennis. I found my big one for the day, reaching 1400 feet over launch. Matthew, Bunkhouse Bob, and a couple of others followed me, but for about 15 minutes I had top of that stack (I'm still not counting Dennis). Then, somehow, I sank back to 500 over, and Matthew and another pilot caught the good one. For 10-15 minutes Bob and I vied for low man honors, but always between 300 and 500 over. We kept a good eye on each other, working pretty close together up and down the ridge.
Eventually Bob turned wisely and I turned unwisely; he went higher and I sunk below launch, having to turn out toward the LZ. At the tracks aI found a bubble worth two 360s, but no more. Then, at the silo field I stumbled into a nice strong thermal. I worked it hard, and with a 100 foot gain, saw Matthew zooming over to join me in it. I rode up another 100 feet, but did not like the drift so left the thermal to set up my approach. I watched Matthew continue to ride it higher, back over the trees. I cursed him, thinking he would take it back to the ridge.
My set up and approach went well, but I flared a few seconds late, so skidded in with a safe, but not pretty, clean landing. My time was just shy of 55 minutes. As I carried off, Matthew came in right behind me, logging almost the same flight time.
Since it was still early, we both packed back to the top for a second try. At a minimum, we each hoped to accumulate a full hour of flying tome for the day. Thanks to Kathy C for shuttling my truck down for me, so it was ready to cart Matthew and me back up. Sorry she was not able to fly her first HR day.
For my second flight after 6:00 I tried a running launch from 4 steps back on the rock. Apparently I stumbled on that last step (according to wire crew witnesses), because I departed the rock with almost no forward energy, the run notwithstanding. I pulled into the steepest dive-out I have ever performed, got my airspeed, and pushed out over the tree tops. Shawn told me it was one scary steep dive, but also that I had plenty of clearance over the trees.
Once in flight, I found zilch for lift, and headed straight out, sinking nicely. Karen C had sledded out before me. On the ground, we both commented on the gnarly bumpy air we both felt on our short flights. Not new H2 kinda day, even for sleds. Total time on #2 - just over four minutes. Hmmm... even together, I didn't quite make my goal of an hour. Oh, well.
Thanks to Steve K. for the body ride back to the top for my truck.
Back to the bottom, I spent a half hour on the front porch with Emma and Randy. They are making it, but it is really tough on Emma. We tried to get her down to the LZ pavilion, but she said she was not up for a big crowd. We each did go see her in small groups, though, and she really appreciated that. She is truly appreciative of the HG community support for paying the funeral bill.
I finished the evening with the beer and grill crowd. telling tales, some of them true, and educating the two newest to HR, Kathy and David the Amazing, on HR lore.
My day was rewarding on many levels, with flight, closeness with Emma, and with fellow pilots in the LZ.
I did capture a few minutes of flight time with my little video camera, so I have another YouTube entry for this post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuXRPI-YJxM

<object> <param> </param> <embed> </embed> </object>