Joe Gregor Update

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

Joe Gregor Update

Post by Matthew »

Joe went into surgery last night at Shenandoah Memorial Hospital in Woodstock at about 9:30am and they finished at about 2am. Janet Gregor arrived at the hospital at about 11:20pm last night and spent the night there. The surgeons repaired a shattered right shoulder and broken bones on the left arrm a couple of inches above the writst. Joe will have external pins and a fixator on the left arm for 6 weeks followed by a short cast. The surgeon told Janet that repairing the shattered shoulder was a very difficult operation and that everything looked good. However, a follow-up X-ray showed that one of the nails holding the bone fragments together looked a little too long. So they will be going back in this afternoon to replace the nail. After the surgery, Joe was able to use the hand and fingers on his right arm (broken shoulder side) and was playing with his Ipod. He is expected to have full recovery on his left arm. The surgeon said he may have some stiffness on his right arm in one of the degrees of rotation. Hopefully PT and Joe's dogged determination will take care of that.

Janet will be staying at the hospital until he gets back from surgery today and then she will be returning there tomorrow. Joe is expected to be discharged on Wednesday.

I'll let ya'll know if I hear anything else.

Matthew
kcarra

Post by kcarra »

I just talked to Janet who is headed back down to Woodstock. Joe is doing well physically, but his spirits are low. He's off the morphine on his request. He's still not able to easily take phone calls. Hopefully he'll be discharged tomorrow.
Karen Carra
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

JOE WE LOVE YOU!!
Brian Vant-Hull
stevek

Post by stevek »

The pain meds are making him sick so he's not eating. The pain meds are making him sick because he's not eating. He needs the pain meds. He doesn't get sprung until this cycle is somehow broken.
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

I saw Joe briefly this evening. He wasn't up for much company with a head ache so I did not stay long. I plan to stop in tomorrow to see how he is doing.

Joe
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Fruit milkshakes may have some nutrional value and be easy to get down. Hard to find in a hospital though....I seem to remember the food quality never helped the appetite.
Brian Vant-Hull
kcarra

Post by kcarra »

I just talked to Janet again, and Joe had another small surgery this morning to refine the angle of the wrist. The surgeon is now very pleased with the results. Janet is quite happy with the care that he's receiving.

Joe is free of all peripheral equipment and is walking and eating some. He's feeling somewhat better. He should be discharged tomorrow.

Karen
Karen Carra
kcarra

Post by kcarra »

Even better news!

Joe is going home NOW - Wed evening. The Gregors are asking for a little time to settle in. Joe will post when he's ready for calls & visitors.
Karen Carra
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Joe, I hope you are doing better and can post about your status.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
ebalow98

Post by ebalow98 »

Joe, good luck to a speedy recovery! Glad to hear you're back home. If you need some pain-med suppliments let me know and I'll bring some Trappist Ale down from the Towson store. :)

Ed and Laura
garys

Post by garys »

Joe;

I am so sorry about your accident. I hope that you have a very speedy and full recovery. Just an offer.... down the road; if you are up to it....I have your landing on video. I will destroy the tape at your request or you are welcome to have it for feedback on your accident. The video was shot from launch at full zoom and shows enough detail to show that you got hit by a fairly strong rotor as you came in on final at the bottom of the hill. I have been slammed there myself but in your case you got hit 2 x as hard as I can ever recall getting hit by down air at the bottom of the LZ hill. I can understand if you never want to see the video. I just thought I'd offer it if you want the feedback. All the best to you.
Gary Smith
Lauren Tjaden

Post by Lauren Tjaden »

We all love you, Joe. I wish I had magic pill to make you better.
Lauren
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Hey Gary....now that Joe seems like he'll be okay I have to ask: on the entertainment scale how does the current tape compare to the classic Howard/Paul collision? ;-)

Back to work. Set to defend my Thesis in late July. I may not get out before then, but will bring Joe any brew I can find when I do.
Brian Vant-Hull
Paul Tjaden

Post by Paul Tjaden »

brianvh wrote:Hey Gary....now that Joe seems like he'll be okay I have to ask: on the entertainment scale how does the current tape compare to the classic Howard/Paul collision? ;-)

Back to work. Set to defend my Thesis in late July. I may not get out before then, but will bring Joe any brew I can find when I do.
Do we HAVE to bring that up again???? I had hoped that most people had forgotten about that one. JEEEZ!

Besides...it was really more the "Paul slams into poor, deer-in-the-headlights, Howard" than the "Howard/ Paul collision."

The Perpetrator
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

That was a bit uncalled for Brian. In order to do penence I suggest you show up at the ECC's and do retrieve driving and offer your famous mint juleps to all pilots at the end of the day.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

yeah, it was pretty much a finger-hovering-over-the-post-button type of thing, wondering 'should I?'. Thankfully nobody was injured in the earlier incident. Even with a full recovery Joe may not be able to see anything fun in his. My apologies all around.
Brian Vant-Hull
Lauren Tjaden

Post by Lauren Tjaden »

Brian! No apologies, you dorkball! Though we DO appreciate Marc trying to guilt you into making mint julips (quick thinking there, lobster...).
Lauren
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Lauren Tjaden wrote:...(quick thinking there, lobster...).
Lauren
It does happen, but not very often. :lol:

marc
Great Googly-moo!