Quest Sunday and Monday

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Paul Tjaden

Quest Sunday and Monday

Post by Paul Tjaden »

I flew the last couple of days. I am finally back on my Sport. The first day the wind was blustery and west again, just like when I wrecked. Actually the wind wasn't nearly as strong but I was plenty nervous. I didn't tow that well and finally reminded myself to HOLD STILL. Not much lift, farted around for minute. Bellied in the landing. Except for weak links, I have NEVER done this on the Sport. I felt totally disgusted with myself.
So I did a pattern tow immediately again. I was better off of the cart and towed fine, had a great landing. I think I didn't have enough speed on final the first time to cut through the gradient and have enough energy left to pop me up.
Yesterday the wind was East (still not a great direction) and the pilots complained that the air was rough. I had a lovely early flight of about a half hour. I felt very pleased to find the lift by feel (it was blue) and by spotting a bird. I think I was the only pilot in the air. Nice tow, nice landing; I feel like myself again. Weird how you can get clenched up when you scare yourself. I missed the stronger, higher lift that the later day produced since I had to go teach (riding) -- I just had a little time to get in the air. I heard lots of people enjoyed long flights late.
Actually I think the incident was really a great thing because it has taught me how to control my glider better. Has led to much introspection and discussions of what to do at altitude if my glider pitches up in big air more than I can control (go sideways, grab a downtube). I am practicing the speed of my reaction, too, if a link breaks and my glider tries to pitch up violently. I am not pulling in to release the forces before I release on tow, so I can practice, and the tug pilots are going to help me simulate what happens (throttle up the plane before I release) so I can build muscle memory at altitude. So I am really lucky that this happened; it might save my life later.
I am also learning to not anticipate how great the day might be or not. I keep myself up all night with big dreams. Get all nervous getting ready. Much better for my brain to just relax. I keep envisioning success, but I am trying to just take each flight for what it is and be ready to go if the day warrants it. If it is not good I can't make it good. If it is good, well, I just might do OK.
Wishing you good weather and puffy cummies.
Lauren