The SAC 2/24

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

The SAC 2/24

Post by XCanytime »

XCanytime

Re: The SAC 2/24

Post by XCanytime »

Took the scenic route to launch, checking out LZs in the valley behind Mahantango Mountain near the plateau where Schuylkill County Airport is located. At launch the snow was piled up at the base of the earthen mound, courtesy of the county plows. Didn't have a shovel, so the foot shovel was used (both of them). Moderate to strong conditions on launch when I arrived at noon, and the sky was clearing. 1st to show up was Aron, then Wil, then Joe, and lastly Allan.

With Aron, Wil, and Allen helping, had a good launch just after 2P. Went up and forward after clearing the crew. Lift in the slot all the way out. After getting comfortably over launch with a few figure 8s, decided to head east to where 125 crosses the mountain. Got to 3200' MSL in a nice thermal on the way. Used that altitude to reach the 125 xing. The ridge changes shape down there; shallower and some divots. Got low (500' over) and turned around, flying in solid ridge lift on the way back to launch. Got back up to 3200' MSL in another nice thermal just before launch.

As I flew by launch, it looked like Wil's glider was halfway between the setup area and the launch mound. So I headed towards the Klingerstown Gap, hoping to tag it, turn around, and land. As I made it west over a mile from launch, looking towards the river, altitude around 3000' MSL, a black object flew across my field of view at my altitude about a mile to the west of me. I locked onto it, and it was a US army Blackhawk helicopter, no doubt out of Ft. indiantown Gap, returning to base, flying towards the Ravine VOR along the 180° radial to Muir AAF. I never saw him. I hope he saw me. It shook me up enough to turn around and land ASAP. Plus I was COLD.

Had a nice approach, and a decent landing for once. Carried over to the tree line and thawed out in the afternoon sun. Wil got an hour and landed around 4P. Around 4:15P Aron launched and got up easily. Got a body ride up w/ Wil, and hit the road around 5P. Allan and Aron were flying near each other when I left. Bacil