Woodstock, Thursday (9/28)

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Ward Odenwald

Woodstock, Thursday (9/28)

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Afternoon conditions are looking good along the entire length of the Massanutten. Who’s in?

Ward
garys

Re: Woodstock, Thursday (9/28)

Post by garys »

I am in. ETA 11:00 am.
Gary Smith
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Still looking good with afternoon ridge soarable conditions along the Massanutten. ETA at launch ~9:30.

Ward
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

After finish my duties, I went to WS with my son Lucas.
Stop by Joe's house to give him a ride.
When, we arrived at WS, Ward was ready to fly: he was the 1st to take off, flew for hours, and landed south of WS in a very large field.

I waited until the winds were more reliable to take off. I had a very good flight: 3rd flight in my new U2 :)
After flying in front of the rump a little bit, I went north, got some strong thermals (3,300ft above ridge +- in front of the old ramp), continued my journey north to be in a safest distant of the landing field recommended by Gary. Dropped to 2Kft above ridge and decided to return to south instead of pushing my luck or landing in the "Gary"'s field: it is a huge field!
When I was returning south, I "met" Joe who was having an amazing flight. Tried to follow him north again, but I did not have the courage nor the skills out. He landed in Strasbourg.

Lost most of my altitude (600ft above ridge) returning south. After flying a little bit on the south of the ramp, decided to go to landing.
Had a good landing in the new LZ. Gary landed +- 30 min after me.

Concluding, I am pretty glad with my flight. I am getting more and more used to the U2. Slowing learning how to thermal with it. Fortunately, I did not have any issues as far take off and landing. Looking forward to flying again with my fellow pilots

PLEASE NEXT TIME BRING YOUR RADIOS! I could use your expertise when flying :)
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Good day, everyone soared with the help of Lucas (Walt’s son) who came to help us fly -> Thanks! Surface winds were NNW or N during the late morning (real time data from valley stations) and that was in-line with the modest ridge lift that I experienced up and down the north section of the Massanutten. However, the thermals were large with multiple cores that toped out between 5 to 6K msl. My “plan A” fantasy was the same as most Massanutten adventures but the north cross and the crops in potential LZs surrounding the Edinburg Gap cut deep into that. Here are chronologically ordered images of the flight, plus a link to my flight track.

I landed in a newly harvested cornfield south of takeoff and the “Shenandoah Valley Farmer Hospitality” was the very best! Once the glider was secured, I walked to the farmhouse to introduced myself and soon after Matt insisted that I take his 4-wheel drive cart back to my glider and ~ 30 minutes later, his brother, Rick, came out with cold water and helped me with directions for Walt’s and Lucas’ retrieval.

Ward

http://doarama.com/view/1648785
Attachments
L->R, Walt, Joe and Lucas
L->R, Walt, Joe and Lucas
2.jpg
3.jpg
A Blue Day!
A Blue Day!
Approaching Signal Knob
Approaching Signal Knob
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Next set of images.
Attachments
Strasburg
Strasburg
Heading south
Heading south
8.jpg
9.jpg
Crossing paths with a T-tail
Crossing paths with a T-tail
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Next five images.
Attachments
North of the Edinburg Gap
North of the Edinburg Gap
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Last set of images showing Walt just after takeoff and my landing.
Attachments
Walt, just after takeoff.
Walt, just after takeoff.
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg